My worship team has been discussing the question, “How do we show up for our set with our ‘A-Game’?” (Yes, our worship leader is a football guy.) Basically it means we show up ready to prophesy, to listen to the Lord, and to serve the Lord with our full capacity and strength. We want to do more than simply show up, do our set for two hours, and leave nonplussed, never really having touched the Lord, or even tried. We’ve been talking about how we can sharpen ourselves in the areas of our body, soul and spirit–so we show up fully engaged and ready to go in every aspect of our lives.
Here is the way we’ve been breaking it down…
Body (practical physical things needed to function well)
– Diet. We want to eat foods that will energize us, not drag us down.
– Exercise. We want to be able to stay alert and awake during our Prayer Room hours.
– Sleep. We don’t want to be tired and distracted as we pray.
Soul (emotional/thought life)
– Forgiveness/Sermon on the Mount lifestyle. As much as possible, we want to deal with our emotional traffic before we get to the Prayer Room.
– Entertainment. We want to be wise with what we put into our mind’s eye and memory.
– Schedule. We want to manage our time wisely so as not to feel either aimless or stressed.
Spirit (our spiritual life)
– “Feeding” ourselves on the Word–in and outside of the prayer room.
– Communicating with the Holy Spirit throughout the day, asking Him what He’s saying and doing.
– Fasting, to tenderize our hearts before God.
I love the focus and vision that’s being cast before us. I’m excited that I get to pursue these things with people I love and trust. It feels so good to have it out in open discussion–it feels safe to go to my teammates and share with them honestly how I’m doing, where I’m struggling in these areas, and ask for prayer. We can encourage and strengthen one another, spurring each other on to go farther than we could alone. I can’t wait to see where God takes us in this!